06 March 2007

Roman roads

When I stop to think about it, these Roman roads we are walking on are an amazing feat. Just imagine the stone masons who had to form the stones to make them fit the pattern, sometime in the 1700s. Just imagine how heavy they had to be. The basic grid pattern that we use in most towns and cities today is fashioned after the Roman pattern.

I'm impressed by the Romans these days. Earlier, I think I told you about the stone bridge, but since I am too lazy to go back and check, I'll just tell you about it again. The stone bridge is a masterpiece of medieval engineering that has survived 850 years. It is the oldest preserved stone bridge in Germany as was, for hundreds of years, the only way to get into Regensburg. Now, what makes it interesting is the engineering to keep all of those arches up. ..and since only busses are allowed on there today, it must be perfectly done!

Those guys were pretty darn smart!

1 comment:

Scraphap said...

Take care of yourself If this is the worst sore throat you have ever had it must be a doozie Love you and miss our chats