15 March 2007

Double Talk

One of the experiences that we had in Brussels was Rue Boucher (or Restaurant Row). We had mussels at Chez Leon, which is a famous spot--and I have to admit that they got our business precisely because they didn't do what I'm about to describe. Even so, it was an expensive experience.

On Rue Boucher, the restaurants make great sport out of trying to get your business. It was fun when we knew we weren't going to stop. The street is about five or six blocks long, and there are no other business there. The entire narrow street is lined with sidewalk cafes. It would be a great party spot if we were the partying type, so there clearly is a tourist draw. It was crowded and busy, and had a bit of a Klondike Days-at-Night type of feeling. Every two steps, another restaurant tries to entice you in ("I'll buy your first drink", "I'll buy your last drink", "we have a table here", "do you speak English?" "It's a sweet deal". etc. etc. etc.). They'll hand out business cards, and two of them will compete for you at the same time, even pulling on your arms as though you were the rope in a game of tug of war. And it is a game.

So we decided to have fun. Most of you will have heard me use double-talk at one time or another--a bit of a nonsense language that I teach to kids. Instead of agreeing that we spoke English, I answered every single person in doubletalk, and feigned confusion when they didn't understand. They really didn't know what to do with me, and that was the whole point.

That was a hoot!

No comments: