08 March 2007

Oberammagau

Okay, bear with me all you people who can spell foreign words much more easily than me. I'm on a timer here!

Oberammagau was pretty great. It's a bit like a walking gallery; nearly every house has painted scenes or words or people looking out the windows, or shutters, or grand doorways, or almost anything you can imagine. It's a charming village, and there are a lot of stores there, many with the woodcarving.

We stayed in a very nice BandB with a generous host named Tobias. He referred us to the very best restaurant we have been in so far. My goodness what a feast we had. First, there was some sort of clear soup with veggies and beef--it was so full of flavour that I could hardly believe it (I thought I might be feeling better--but it turns out the soup was just that good). After that, M had a mixed grill which made him a very happy man. Every single piece of meat was perfectly cooked, so now he might eat lamb again after all. For me, I had lighter fare--a cheese crepe with spicy veggies inside. Yum, it was perfect for me. The restaurant was family owned, in a little pub.

Of course, we got caught in the rain again on the way home.

As far as Oberammagau goes--we liked it but I do not think that I would have the same feelings if it was overun with tourists at the Passion Play or whatever. It was busy enough, but I think that it could get a little crazy! We're glad we went....but now, we're in wine country!

No comments: