05 March 2007

Gray roots

Ah yes, you might think that was about the hair on M's head, but you would be wrong! In this case, it is about searching out where his mom grew up--on a very gray day.

Today we drove a very scenic route--off the autobahn--to the cities of Cham and Regen. Regen is where M's mother was raised, and it is a lovely place. Howeer, the real places--with names I can't pronounce--have all been grouped together under the name of Regan. They show now as areas of the city,instead of the individual little towns that they once were. And, I do mean little. The one town is quite simply, one road, with houses on either side. It was most interesting for me to listen to M talk about things and people that he has rarely talked about before. We took loads of pictures, laughed at the chickens on the sidewalk, and just really enjoyed the day. For me, it was good that it was gray, since sunlight and trees are not always my friend.

Tonight when we came back we decided to go to a little pub that we have noticed on a few occasions. This was funny, actually--because I left our handydandy phrase book at the hotel. We had a German menu, and a unilingual German server, and we ordered 'blind' as it were, because we were only sure of half hte words. The result? We had pancake soup--which was surprisingly tasty, soup with pretzels in it, and somekind of meat, and then M had a mixed grill plate that also included red cabbage and a cold potato salad and this half-cooked dumpling thing. Mine on the other hand, was almost divine. I had pork medalians with a sort of stroganoff topping, and with that came cheesy, oniony spatzle. Yum, it was good! And finally, my throat was not too sore to eat. I just have to get rid of this stupid cough now.

No comments: