16 August 2012

Of mice and....mice

First stop on our annual not-quite-camping vacation  took us to a little cabin tucked away in a New York state forest.  Truth be told, it was away from many things, but that suited us. The cabin had seen better days, true, but then, so have a great many other cabins.  This one had three bedrooms, a kitchenette, a nice little porch table to eat at.  

It also had a few mouse traps.  Dave had arrived first, and had been told that the kids from the last family that stayed there, left the door open and it was possible a mouse had gotten inside.  They apologized,  but since they weren't certain, Dave said okay.  

We cooked supper, did the dishes, went to bed.  In the morning, we were readying to do breakfast dishes, when Dave opened the cupboard door under the sink and found the remains of the critter who had not been there the night before. 

As unsettling as that was, we were glad that we didn't have to worry about the mouse anymore. 

That evening however, as we three were settled in for a quiet evening after a very full day adventuring, it became clear that there wasn't just one mouse.  Our initial gasp sent it scurrying away again, through a hole in the wall that went into the room that I had slept in the night before.  While the guys were in there trying to find it, another mouse crossed the room.  He went right to the mousetrap, moved it several inches, and ... honestly, I don't remember what happened to him after that. 

Except that it wasn't THAT.  Not yet. 

The guys put a wine cork in a hole in the floor right under the bed I had slept in.  They put a water bottle in the wall where he had gone through.   Nonetheless, I was not going to sleep in that room again.  No, I laid claim to the top bunk in the other room.  Even then, it took a while to quit imagining that I was hearing scurrying sounds.   I'm not actually sure that I was imagining,  but it was the only way I was going to be able to sleep, so let's just leave it at that. 

Those imagined sounds may have been preferable to the loud whack we all heard an hour or so later.  Being dutiful men, the guys went out to check and sure enough, THAT had happened.  Two mice down. 

In the morning, I walked to the office and quietly complained.  I explained that they didn't have one mouse, they had a mouse infestation.  We knew of at least three.  I explained about the hole in the floor, the thought that they were coming in under the kitchen sink, the unfortunate task the guys had of removing not one, but two mice.  I suggested that they give Dave a significant refund. 

After explaining that they'd had an appointment with an exterminator who didn't show up, that they really thought there was only one (and a few other excuses that I really wasn't letting her get away with), the manager asked me what I thought would be reasonable. 

"Look", I said, "I'm a fifty-year old woman who spent the night on the top bunk for pete's sake.  FREE sounds good to me, but since we did use your linens I'll leave it to your sense of honour." 

It's only because she completely refunded us for the two nights that I am not saying where that cabin is. She did her best to make it right, she promised not to rent the cabin again until the problem was fixed.  They don't deserve the negative publicity. 

But they don't deserve positive publicity either.   

In fact, I'd just like to forget about them altogether. 

1 comment:

k said...

I picture you tucked into the top bunk hunkered down willing no mouse to make the climb. i love your writing,never stop