23 August 2012

Lessons from the Labyrinths

We rented a yurt at the  Harmony Hill Retreat Centre.   The Retreat is far away from pretty much anything.  As a nice relaxing place to unwind it was perfect, particularly after our close encounter with the creatures. 

I have a dear friend who is fond of labyrinths.  I had never walked one before, and I was quite interested.  I always thought that a labyrinth and a maze were the same thing, but as I learned on a walk through a maze later in the trip, they are not.  My friend equated the walking of a labyrinth with prayer.  It is one long continuous path towards a focal point at the centre, whereas a maze has several false turns and stops that force one to backtrack often.  On this trip, we found two to walk. 

The labyrinth at  Heritage Museums and Gardens (where, by the way, we saw a fascinating exhibit of Norman Rockwell's work) is a 7-circuit design, and wound around trees in the garden.  This design is very calming, and it is possible to walk it without needing to pay attention.   It goes in a long continuous circle, although it is designed like two intertwined coils. 

The labyrinth at Harmony Hill is (I think) an 11-circuit design, and is the first one I have ever stepped on.  I chose to walk it first by myself. My friend had indicated that sometimes it is hard to concentrate and I found this to be true.  The path appeared to head directly to the centre and while sometimes it came tantalizingly close, there were many twists and turns that took me far away before I arrived.  Needing to concentrate on the path was very relaxing for me, and I appreciated the experience very much.

The next day, the guys walked it with me.  This was completely different.  There was enough distraction that more than one of us lost our place.  It was faster and noisier and harder to concentrate. In fact, it was a bit chaotic, even though we had the same goal.  I realized that I would have to walk this labyrinth many times before I could do it without concentrating on it.

Just two of us walked it again before we left.   What fascinated me was how different the experience was again.  Yes, we were on exactly the same path, but we didn't travel at the same speed.  Consequently, there were moments when we were walking one in front of the other, then side by side, and once we were at completely opposite ends of the circle.  There were times when we looked to be going in different directions, even though we were headed to the same place.   And, because he left the centre before I did, there was even a moment of direct conflict, as one had to step off the path in order to let the other continue on it.

It occurred to me that many relationships are like this.  Those that are the strongest, the most fulfilling, are the ones that we concentrate on.  It takes intentionality as we walk along the path towards the common goal of loving and caring for each other.  Sometimes one walks ahead of the other, sometimes we appear to be at odds when we're not, and other times, the path encourages us to walk side by side in support of each other.

I am going to seek out more labyrinths.  I want to be able to recognize the same path when I see it.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written, Crystal.