28 August 2012

There once was a girl in Nantucket...

Our adventure to Nantucket began with a drive to Hyannis Port where, I'm proud to say, I learned how to eat a raw oyster.  I now know that the problem I had the first time was not because the oyster was raw, but because it hadn't been fully detached.  No wonder I choked!  Not this time though.  The lovely waitress at The Naked Oyster made sure that I had a lovely experience if I was brave enough to try it again.  Oh, it was fresh and wonderful.  Although I tried twice more on our trip, they failed to measure up to this burst of sweet and salty brilliance.  The bar has been set.

After lunch, we caught the fast ferry to the island of Nantucket.  I've never been good at limericks, but I do remember that they often highlighted Nantucket and not usually in the best of ways.  Such a shame for Nantucket is a delightful place and we didn't have nearly enough time.  Steeped in history, there are several different kinds of cobblestone on the streets. I would have liked the time to figure out which streets are oldest.

Nantucket was a blend of ocean air, hydrangeas and hibiscus.   It is both romantic and touristy.   I think that I would enjoy it tremendously if we had more time to explore on shoulder season.   There is much to see, lots of little shops to explore, and fortunately for us, Sweet Inspirations.  The chocolate covered cranberries are wonderful, but better still are the salted caramels. I'm a sucker for artisan chocolate and the bulk of our  Nantucket dollars were spent here.

Nantucket...you'll see us again when we can spend more time getting acquainted.







No comments: