06 June 2010

Happiness is a Day at the Zoo

I am currently in Colorado Springs.  I arrived on Friday expecting to be in the mountains, but instead, it is more like a semi-desert with a mountain view.   I have so far found the people to be exceptionally kind, the plants intriguing, and the signs hung on overpasses declaring "welcome home, daddy" to bring unexpected tears.

I've been staying at the Doubletree here, and I have had a most pleasant stay.  For one, they hand out chocolate chip cookies upon arrival, and they are better than mine.  I hate to say that.  But it's true, and I am soon going to be on the hunt for a copycat recipe, or to make one myself.  I'm so tempted to grab a dozen for when I leave.  You know, to test and stuff.

In a couple of hours, I'm meeting up with one of my favourite people in the world, and we are going to a conference together.  But when I was researching a place to meet up, I realized that the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is but ten miles away.  And I'm a real sucker for zoos.  Any zoo.  My favourite kind of day is to wander a zoo, laugh at the antics of animals, especially if they are in a large enough habitat, and learn something new.

I'm particularly fond of giraffes, so when I realized that this zoo has a large herd and a feeding station....well, I knew I needed that as much as I need a retreat.  So yesterday, a kind gentleman from the hotel gave me a ride, and a city tour, and I spent the day enjoying animals, the mountain air, the sun, a bit of breeze, giraffes and more giraffes, and for lunch....a foot-long dog "ready to party".

Here are a few pics from the occasion...

2 comments:

Joelle said...

I am so glad you enjoyed your day at the zoo! Love the giraffe pics. I have been trying to take some pics of our hummingbirds...

Looking forward to tasting some choc chip cookies :)

ccap said...

Oh goodness, we stayed at 2 Doubletrees on our little holiday last month and I do not disagree with you about the cookies. Not that I've tasted yours but they're better than mine as well. Mmm.