10 June 2010

A tale of two castles

The writing conference wrapped up yesterday.  I was humbled by many of the people I met, and awed by what they could do (Angela Hunt, Kathy Mackel, Nancy Rue and James Scott Bell are brilliant and gifted teachers, and my writing buddy Amy rocked).  After our classes were over, many people headed out right away.  My new Canadian friends and I stayed over, and it was lovely just to get to know them better.  People are fascinating, make no mistake.

This morning after rising bright and early, I took one more walk around the promenade loop.  This is probably the easiest of all the trails, but hey, I had my cane, so I was okay with that.  I actually saw the eagles on the nest this time, and took the best picture that I could, without a tripod.

The only thing not enjoyable at the castle was the wretched cold I picked up.  I was blessed by more people than ever before in my life, thanks to all my sneezing (and yes, just because, too).  Then there was the coughing, the sputtering and all of that fun stuff.  And who needs to breathe, I ask?  Apparently not me.

It was a dreadful trip home.  I was feeling pretty conspicuous with all my coughing, hacking, and sneezing.  In the aftermath of H1N1, I can understand why people were glaring at me, and I know what kind of incubators planes can be.  There wasn't any hot water on the first flight (so no tea for me) and no air conditioning on the second flight (which made the vast amount of space one is given on an RJ200 even more delightful).  I thought the cold was out of my ears and into my chest, but alas, as we gained altitude I soon realized that it had put a downpayment  for both places.   By the time I landed at home, I knew I was twice as sick as when I started the day.

Know what makes my life so great?  My super guy met me at the gate, grabbed all my stuff and brought me home.  Then he sent me to bed, brought me some tea, tucked me in and took care of all the unpacking for me.  He's already doing the laundry and there are fresh flowers in the only spot of the house where Lynxy won't eat them.

Glen Eyrie was great but it doesn't hold a candle to the castle I have here.

2 comments:

Angela said...

So sorry to hear that you picked up a cold--but oh, how I enjoyed meeting you and now seeing your pictures! I have just replaced my pilfered camera, and the new one should arrive tomorrow. Maybe next year you can teach me a thing or two about photography . . . hmmm?

Anonymous said...

Aw! What a good guy!