10 August 2009

God Carving Mountains


I am feeling very insignificant lately.

Today we went on a scenic drive that quite frankly took us completely by surprise. It's because we didn't do a lot of research before coming here--our plans have been quite fluid, and there have been a lot of changes. So today we grabbed a map that outlined five scenic drives of the Custer National Park area, and we picked one.

It was beautiful. Lots of trees, some wildlife, a few creeks, a couple of rock formations. But nothing, and I do mean nothing, prepared me for what was to come. We had just approached it through a 'one lane tunnel', and I think that was part of the surprise was because we didn't know it was coming. I can't capture it on film in a way that shows the emotion behind it. This huge cathedral of granite formations met us, in an area that had been cleared to allow perhaps a dozen cars to park and the 'one-lane' traffic to pass through the tunnel.

Logan Pass was stunning. Devil's Tower was ethereal. But the Needle's Eye made me cry.


Good work, God!


1 comment:

Brad said...

Good work indeed!