07 July 2009

An iconic moment

After our huttopia adventures, we spent the weekend at the Montreal Jazz Festival. We saw two concerts.

Eliane Elias was okay. I found her constant flipping-of-the-hair thing, to be a distraction. But in her defense, she is a beautiful Latino woman who clearly loves great clothes and great shoes and has the rhythm to make it all work for her. So if she wants to flip her sexy long blonde locks every other minute, she has the right to do it. My husband and my friend loved it. Maybe I was just jealous--she looked great. And she is a terrific jazz pianist. Her singing didn't move me, but then it didn't have to. It was wonderful to hang out and just listen for awhile.

Dave Brubeck was a whole other story. This was the first time in my life that I watched an artist get a standing ovation just for coming on the stage, and I really appreciated that. I found out afterwards that he had been quite ill, so dragging his 88 year old bones on stage really was an accomplishment. But that wasn't why he was applauded with such fervor. He is really talented, and I have to say that I loved every minute of the concert. If his name doesn't seem familiar, take a listen to this...and you will realize that you knew him all along.

The absolute highlight for me however, was something that sounded a lot like this. It isn't just that I enjoy the song, but I loved how this guy interpreted it, and just what he made his instrument do. It was 'wow' terrific, and as a sometime-flautist myself, I could appreciate his tone, technique and talent.

I'm going to be listening to a lot more Dave Brubeck and Bobby Militello after this!

No comments: