07 October 2008

Cheese and Mustard

Yesterday when I was taking the train, I wisely decided that it couldn't hurt to have a sandwich in my bag, since you never know what will happen. It was a good choice, given that the trip was twice as long as it should have been. The problem is deciphering the menu choices in a short amount of time--I resorted once again to the point at the food, lift one finger method.

First bite in totally reminded me of my grandmother. When I was a kid, she once called downstairs to me and said 'What do you want on your bologna sandwich?!' "Cheese and mustard," I replied.

But she apparently didn't hear me so she called again "what do you want on your sandwich?" "Cheese and mustard", I repeated.

And that's what I got. Just cheese and mustard, no lettuce, no bologna, nuthin extra.

And that's pretty much what I had yesterday too, though I would venture that there was more mustard than cheese on that bun.

I miss you Gram. Thanks for 'visiting' me yesterday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awe that made me cry... was that grandma colenutt?

darien said...

yes, it was. And she was so terrific!

Anonymous said...

i think about her alot its about time i go see her. i have to say i have not been out there since she passed away