30 September 2008

If I time it right..

Today I am leaving Amsterdam to go to Groningen, in the north of Holland. I had a great sleep last night, except for the cold that I have picked up along the way. It's not a surprise really, not sleeping for a whole day, and then the weather in Amsterdam is wet, but not raining. You sweat sometimes, and get wet sometimes, but not enough to use an umbrella, and it was too hot to always be covered up. You get the idea?



Today of course is different. Today I have to time my leave of the hotel with the rain that comes down in buckets. Funny use, that term. I was thinking that it was like someone filled up a pail, and when it was full, down it came all at once. After that, there is a lull while the pail fills up again. But when it comes down, wow. I need to get to the train station in the lull, because if I get caught in that, I'll be wet for the entire day, umbrella or not.

Darn, I typed a whole lot more and went to post it, but then I ran out of my free 15 minutes and I have to do it all over again! Oh well.

Continuing on...the rain comes down all at once. And it is amusing to me how people cope with this on their bicycles. Some just wear a ball cap, others have cloaks that cover them and their bikes. Others use open baskets, and the rain falls where it will. Some even carry an umbrella in their 'extra' hand. And some just go through it. This would make a great photo essay!

I'm getting ready to check out and head to Groningen. I know that there are two trains; one that goes directly there, and another that splits in two halfway on the journey. One half heads to Groningen, the other heads somewhere else. I can handle that now that I am awake. Yesterday, who knows!

So my friends, away I go on another adventure. I'm looking forward to it! I'll post again when I find a place to do so in Groningen.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Good morning Missy, from rainy, misty and cold Ottawa! Keep us updated on your adventure! Enjoy! Diane