30 January 2011

Hello 2011

Last year was a difficult year.  I didn't even finish all my blogging from our trip.  That's not like me and it's been annoying me like crazy.  This is my travel blog.  I can't remember everything that happened.

I've decided to let it go.

2010 had some great stuff, most notably our trip to France.  But it's also held a lot of reminders of how fragile we are in this world.  We have friends fighting cancer and frankly, it's been nasty for them.  We've lost family, and we keenly felt that these last six months.  I see pictures on facebook, and in my iphoto and I remember.  A spicy perogy pizza goes by our table and the smell sends laughter to my ears and tears to my eyes.  I go by the Famous Five several times a week, and I see a red head sitting down to have tea with them, looking mischievous as usual.  I make a particular cookie at Christmas because it reminds me of someone  who loved me.  I have After Eights by my reading chair because my grandpa used to give us some every Christmas Eve, doled out from his squeaky orange lazy boy chair. And just moments ago, we learned that another friend has lost her battle against breast cancer.

Frankly at this moment it feels a bit much.

Tonight we are ushering out 2010.***  We won't be doing anything too grand--I will try my hand at prime rib and yorkshire pudding.  We'll pour champagne and offer a toast to those we had to say goodbye too, and we'll laugh and enjoy being together.

We'll talk about resolutions for next year. One of mine will be to celebrate my friends and family just a little bit more, because if nothing else, 2010 taught me to treasure them more than ever.


***I wrote this on New Years but apparently forgot to post it.  Here it is, pretty much unchanged. 

No comments: