29 October 2010

Jamie

For most of our cooking class, there were 9 students. On our first day though, there were just the two of us and a young man named Jamie.  Jamie was on the intensive program, designed for those who want to learn all the ins and outs of the kitchen.  His room was not as grand as ours,  for he was truly staying in the servant's quarters, with a separate entrance at the back of the building. 

He did not care.  Jamie is passionate about food, and his "vacation" was spent labouring in the kitchen from just after breakfast, until all the diners had been served supper.  If we were deboning sea bass, and Jamie missed a bone in his, the chef would tell him that he would be deboning fish all day. Jamie would grin and say "bring it on".  A discussion about the different flavours in olive oil would make Jamie's eyes glisten.  He would season his beurre blanc little by little until he achieved the perfect balance...and in that process he taught me a great lesson.  At first, the concoction was really tart from the lemon juice, but with Jamie's attention, it was soon this delightfully creamy sauce.  All that he had done was add salt. Oh, and whisk the daylights out of it.  And when the chef pronounced it good,  Jamie beamed as though he had won the lottery. 

When we became a group of nine, it took only one class before everyone would lean on Jamie to help them when the chef was busy.  We had a few friendly technique competitions...I won the "deboning my fish" and "whisking egg whites" and I came close when I minced my shallot.  I completely lost the papeton challenge (but hey, I tried it at least, and most people wouldn't). But Jamie won everything else. 

And that is as it should be.  I like to cook.  Jamie lives for it.  I like to experiment.  Jamie memorizes every step and variation on a theme.   I like to make a meal, and walk away.  Jamie wants to sleep in the kitchen.  His vacation was as perfect as it could be--he leaned new skills, experienced new tastes, and hung out with the kitchen crew.  


When our week was over, Jamie went and did the same thing in Tuscany.  I felt like I was saying goodbye to a nephew, a new young friend. He was such a  delight. 

Jamie just sent us an email that he's been accepted into the Culinary Institute of America in January.  Watch for this handsome face on the culinary scene.   I can't wait to see what's going to happen next! 






No comments: