27 September 2010

Before you stuff it you need to clean it!

So today we had our first cooking class with Chef Pascal and it was grand.  First, we did the simple stuff--julienne some carrots, slice some onions, start to get acqainted.  Then he gave us each a quail...quite fresh.  It still had its head and feet attached.  First, he says, we clean.  And so we did.  We beheaded  it and whacked off its feet.  We burned away any pin feathers that remained.  And then we proceeded to carefully debone it.  To my great surprise, I actually managed to do it AND keep the skin intact, which was a necessary step.  We carefully cut the breast away from the skin and cleaned that well.  Then we stuffed it with carrots, onions and grapes.  With the bones we made stock for sauce...no butter here, he said, for this was Provence.  We also made pumpkin "cappuccino" as a first course, and to be served with the quail we made potato tartin with fresh foie gras.  To finish--raspberry tiramisu.  The three students all ate together and marvelled at what we had done.  None more than I.  The real question though is can I do it AGAIN when I get home?  Can I even find quail with the head still on?

This afternoon we are in St. Remy.We have done some shopping, and we watched a tournament of boules  (at least I think that is what it was called).  There is a fair on, and it is a very festive atmosphere.  In just a bit we will head back to our glorious little piece of paradise.  Our hotel is in the country, on a large but very casual estate.  I have had ample opportunity to practice my French, and have been told that I am doing well.  I have no idea if everyone is just being very polite, but I am content to think perhaps I am able to communicate a bit after all.

Tonight we meet the rest of our group.  Today there were only three of us; tomorrow and the rest of the week there will be nine.  Part of me will miss the attention that a small group allowed but there it is.

I am sleeping well here; Provence is agreeing with me very much!!

1 comment:

ccap said...

Are you freaking kidding me? Are you seriously taking French cooking lessons in France!!? (and yes, the double exclamation mark WAS necessary.) Wow, like I wasn't jealous enough.