04 July 2010

A few more thoughts

Sometimes there is so much to capture on a trip, that when I go back later and reread the post (and correct the name of the hotel) I realize what I forgot.  Here's what comes to mind right now....
  1. It amuses me that my screaming-guitar loving man, and my give-me-anything-BUT-screaming- guitars-self can actually survive a road trip quite nicely if we set the radio to newer country.  My grandpa would be so proud of me. 
  2. Out hotel was great because the people who work there made it so.  It's also quirky.  While it's a bit hard to see from the picture, there is the oddest angle at one end of the hotel.  When it was built in 1927, the builders added the corner so that the front of the hotel looked grander.  Now, that little end piece holds storage closets.  You can see the angle a bit better by looking at this picture, taken from across the street.Last year on our road trip, we bought a whole whack of saltwater taffy.  We started putting the wrappers in a 500 ml water bottle.  It fits nicely in the door of the car.  We have been adding wrappers to it for a year now, and it still isn't quite full.  We had to top up our supply of taffy before we had to throw out the bottle.  When we do throw it out, it's going to be solid, like a brick. 
  3. Every time we passed an old barn that was falling to pieces, I wondered if there were barn owls inside.  He wondered if there was an old Mach 1 in great shape that someone wanted to sell.  
  4. Nope, I still haven't figured out why there is a fireplace and chimney on a nice lawn.  There's a driveway, and another structure with a house number on it.    
  5. We like to visit "foreign" grocery stores.  I don't mean Asian or German or Dutch, necessarily.  I mean that when we go visit the States, we like to go to the store.  There's lots of things there that we can't get here, like fire-roasted tomatoes.    This is going to be on our menu very soon, just because we stocked up, and also because it is so good! 
  6. My in-laws like to come and visit the cat when we go away.  Lynxy likes it because they give her treats.  And they put ice in her water.  We're lucky she remembers us when we come home.

No comments: